Three Shias killed in Pakistani Punjab
Lahore: Unidentified gunmen on Saturday shot dead three Shias, including an imam, in two separate attacks in Pakistan`s Punjab province, triggering protests by members of the minority community.
Police said the gunmen targeted imambargahs at Shahrukh Colony and Mominpura in Gujranwala district.
In one of the incidents, the prayer leader of an imambargah in Shahrukh Colony was killed. Two worshippers were killed at another imambargah in Mominpura.
Unidentified men drove up to the prayer halls on motorcycles and started firing, resulting in the casualties.
Enraged relatives of the victims protested by placing their bodies on a street near Ali Chowk.
The attacks came on the fourth day of the Islamic holy month of Muharram, which has often been marred by sectarian violence in recent years. The Punjab government has put in place a slew of measures to maintain security.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the attacks targeting imambargahs. He conveyed his sympathies to the bereaved families, an official statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra addresses people of Haryana
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Bitter boxer Manoj Kumar appeals for PM's intervention to clear Indian boxing mess
- Finance Ministry recommends CBI probe into 80 kg of missing gold from IGI Airport
- Hotel rooms are so mainstream! Rent a vacation home this time
- Sporting Lisbon's Joao Mario completes record EUR 45-million move to Inter Milan
- Top seven cos take cumulative hit of Rs 29,907 cr in m-cap