Three Shias killed in Pakistani Punjab
Lahore: Unidentified gunmen on Saturday shot dead three Shias, including an imam, in two separate attacks in Pakistan`s Punjab province, triggering protests by members of the minority community.
Police said the gunmen targeted imambargahs at Shahrukh Colony and Mominpura in Gujranwala district.
In one of the incidents, the prayer leader of an imambargah in Shahrukh Colony was killed. Two worshippers were killed at another imambargah in Mominpura.
Unidentified men drove up to the prayer halls on motorcycles and started firing, resulting in the casualties.
Enraged relatives of the victims protested by placing their bodies on a street near Ali Chowk.
The attacks came on the fourth day of the Islamic holy month of Muharram, which has often been marred by sectarian violence in recent years. The Punjab government has put in place a slew of measures to maintain security.
Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif strongly condemned the attacks targeting imambargahs. He conveyed his sympathies to the bereaved families, an official statement said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre