Tornado in Bangladesh kills 20, more than 200 injured
Dhaka: A tornado on Saturday ripped through Bangladesh`s eastern Brahmanbaria district leaving 20 people dead and injuring 200 other.
The tornado flattened hundreds of houses, trees and electric poles while damaging crops on farmland in four sub-districts, reported Xinhua citing Nur Mahmud Mozumder, chief executive officer of the district.
The tornado, with a speed of over 70 km, was accompanied by hail storm and lasted for a few minutes, the official said, adding the victims were killed by collapsed houses and fallen trees.
The toll might go up as reports from remote villages were yet to be collected, he said.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA