Tornado in Bangladesh kills 20, more than 200 injured
Dhaka: A tornado on Saturday ripped through Bangladesh`s eastern Brahmanbaria district leaving 20 people dead and injuring 200 other.
The tornado flattened hundreds of houses, trees and electric poles while damaging crops on farmland in four sub-districts, reported Xinhua citing Nur Mahmud Mozumder, chief executive officer of the district.
The tornado, with a speed of over 70 km, was accompanied by hail storm and lasted for a few minutes, the official said, adding the victims were killed by collapsed houses and fallen trees.
The toll might go up as reports from remote villages were yet to be collected, he said.
With IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- What's the motive behind politicising Yakub Memon's death penalty?
- Lalu Prasad Yadav calls PM Modi ''Kans'', BJP ''Bharat Jalao Party''
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY