Two killed during opposition strike in poll-bound Bangladesh
Dhaka: At least two persons were killed and nearly 40 injured in clashes as violence on Monday returned to Bangladeshi streets during a 60-hour nationwide strike called by opposition parties demanding a neutral caretaker government to oversee the next general elections.
Supporters of the main opposition Bangladesh Nationalist Party (BNP) and its rightwing ally Jamaat-e-Islami hurled bricks at vehicles and exploded crude bombs in the capital city Dhaka as the strike got under way early this morning.
Incidents of clashes and arson were reported from other parts of the country, including Natore, Rajshahi, Comilla and Bogra.
Authorities deployed thousands of additional police and paramilitary officers countrywide to prevent any untoward incident during the second 60-hour strike called by the BNP with a week.
A member of Jatiyatabadi Chhatra Dal, BNP`s student wing, was killed when police opened fire on clashing cadres of the ruling Awami League and strike supporters in Lalmonirhat. The incident injured 39 people, including 15 policemen.
Demonstrators stabbed a youth leader of the Awami League in Comilla while a worker died of injuries sustained when protesters hurled bricks at a truck carrying labourers in Natore district.
The BNP-led 18-party opposition alliance enforced the shutdown from 6 am demanding a non-party government to oversee the next parliamentary election.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Salman Khan's `Bajrangi Bhaijaan` teaser to be out in two days?