Two new polio cases found in Pakistan
Islamabad: Two new cases of crippling polio virus have been reported in Pakistan`s troubled northwestern region, bringing the total number of victims detected this year to 104, a health official said on Friday.
One of the victims is an year-old baby from Peshawar, capital of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
"She has not been administered the oral polio vaccine (OPV) because of her mother`s unwillingness," said a local health workers who refused to be named due to security reasons.
The second victim is from Khyber tribal region which borders Peshawar. She was also deprived of OPV because of her family`s reluctance.
The people in traditional northwestern region avoid anti polio vaccine due to fear of Taliban who consider polio medicine as a conspiracy by the West to sterile Muslims.
With the new cases, the total number of polio victims have risen to 104 this year.
Pakistan has already been facing travelling restrictions due to threat of polio virus exportation.
The government has announced emergency measures to tackle the disease but so far it has failed to turn the tide, as evident by the record number of new cases.
Peshawar remains the hub of polio virus and the insurgency by Taliban have badly impacted the efforts to vaccinate the children.
Polio is an endemic in Pakistan, Afghanistan and Nigeria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3