US civilian adviser killed in Afghan operation
Kabul: Officials have confirmed an American civilian adviser was killed in a military operation in eastern Afghanistan that also left 11 suspected Taliban militants dead.
The American was one of three US civilians killed Saturday. Two also died in a suicide bombing in the south, along with three soldiers.
Col Thomas Collins, a spokesman for US-led forces in Afghanistan, said today that the adviser was killed during fighting in Kunar province.
Provincial government spokesman Wasifullah Wasify says 11 Taliban militants also were killed, and four Afghan security forces, six civilians and 10 Taliban militants were wounded.
Afghan forces have increasingly been taking the lead in combat operations as international forces prepare to withdraw by the end of 2014.
US and other foreign troops work largely in a training and advisory role.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents