US civilian adviser killed in Afghan operation
Kabul: Officials have confirmed an American civilian adviser was killed in a military operation in eastern Afghanistan that also left 11 suspected Taliban militants dead.
The American was one of three US civilians killed Saturday. Two also died in a suicide bombing in the south, along with three soldiers.
Col Thomas Collins, a spokesman for US-led forces in Afghanistan, said today that the adviser was killed during fighting in Kunar province.
Provincial government spokesman Wasifullah Wasify says 11 Taliban militants also were killed, and four Afghan security forces, six civilians and 10 Taliban militants were wounded.
Afghan forces have increasingly been taking the lead in combat operations as international forces prepare to withdraw by the end of 2014.
US and other foreign troops work largely in a training and advisory role.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Ravindra Jadeja gets engaged to Rajkot-based mechanical engineer Reeva Solanki
- Smoking hot! Deepika Padukone's first look in 'xXx' with Vin Diesel creates storm!
- Abhishek Bachchan's 'family' birthday—See pics