US civilian adviser killed in Afghan operation
Kabul: Officials have confirmed an American civilian adviser was killed in a military operation in eastern Afghanistan that also left 11 suspected Taliban militants dead.
The American was one of three US civilians killed Saturday. Two also died in a suicide bombing in the south, along with three soldiers.
Col Thomas Collins, a spokesman for US-led forces in Afghanistan, said today that the adviser was killed during fighting in Kunar province.
Provincial government spokesman Wasifullah Wasify says 11 Taliban militants also were killed, and four Afghan security forces, six civilians and 10 Taliban militants were wounded.
Afghan forces have increasingly been taking the lead in combat operations as international forces prepare to withdraw by the end of 2014.
US and other foreign troops work largely in a training and advisory role.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'