US drone attacks kill 14 suspected militants in Pak
Islamabad: At least 14 suspected terrorists
were killed on Thursday by missiles fired from CIA-operated drones
as the US stepped up its campaign against al-Qaeda and Taliban
militants holed up in Pakistan`s restive northwestern tribal
The fresh attacks by unmanned US spy planes came a week
after a drone strike killed Badar Mansoor, a top leader of al
Qaeda in Pakistan who had earlier fought in Jammu and Kashmir.
US drones carried out two attacks in North Waziristan
tribal region, killing 14 suspected militants in an area
described by American officials as a safe haven for Taliban
and al Qaeda insurgents.
In the first attack, a drone fired two missiles into a
house in Spalgai area, 12 km from Miranshah, the main town in
North Waziristan Agency.
Six suspected militants were killed and seven others
injured. The house was destroyed, local residents said.
Another drone fired two missiles at a pick-up truck near
Mir Ali town in the second attack.
Eight suspected militants were killed in this attack.
The two attacks were carried out in a span of eight
hours, local residents said.
They said members of the local Taliban faction were the
target of the attacks.
On February 9, at least 10 suspected militants were
killed when a US drone targeted the Spalga area. The area is
dominated by the militant faction led by Commander Hafiz Gul
Bahadur, whose fighters target foreign forces across the
border in Afghanistan.
The US resumed drone strikes in Pakistan`s tribal belt in
January after a two-month lull following a cross-border NATO
air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers. Including
today`s strikes, there have been eight drone attacks this
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof