US drone attacks kill 14 suspected militants in Pak
Islamabad: At least 14 suspected terrorists
were killed on Thursday by missiles fired from CIA-operated drones
as the US stepped up its campaign against al-Qaeda and Taliban
militants holed up in Pakistan`s restive northwestern tribal
The fresh attacks by unmanned US spy planes came a week
after a drone strike killed Badar Mansoor, a top leader of al
Qaeda in Pakistan who had earlier fought in Jammu and Kashmir.
US drones carried out two attacks in North Waziristan
tribal region, killing 14 suspected militants in an area
described by American officials as a safe haven for Taliban
and al Qaeda insurgents.
In the first attack, a drone fired two missiles into a
house in Spalgai area, 12 km from Miranshah, the main town in
North Waziristan Agency.
Six suspected militants were killed and seven others
injured. The house was destroyed, local residents said.
Another drone fired two missiles at a pick-up truck near
Mir Ali town in the second attack.
Eight suspected militants were killed in this attack.
The two attacks were carried out in a span of eight
hours, local residents said.
They said members of the local Taliban faction were the
target of the attacks.
On February 9, at least 10 suspected militants were
killed when a US drone targeted the Spalga area. The area is
dominated by the militant faction led by Commander Hafiz Gul
Bahadur, whose fighters target foreign forces across the
border in Afghanistan.
The US resumed drone strikes in Pakistan`s tribal belt in
January after a two-month lull following a cross-border NATO
air strike that killed 24 Pakistani soldiers. Including
today`s strikes, there have been eight drone attacks this
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj