US drone strikes traumatising tribal children in NW Pakistan
Islamabad: America, which claims that its drone campaign is effective in fighting the Al-Qaeda and other terror outfits in Pakistan, has unleashed a reign of terror amidst children in the country`s tribal region.
Nabeela and Naeema - both cousins aged below 10 - survived a recent drone attack in the Tappi area, 15 kilometres from Miramshah, the main town in North Waziristan Agency, reports The Express Tribune.
Eight-year-old Nabeela said she was looking after the animals and her three brothers were harvesting the crops when she heard a drone strike. She said the shrapnel hit all of them and eight members of her family were wounded. Subsequently, the family fled from their village.
Nabeela said she does not want the US drones to fly over her village again. Her cousin Naeema said she was playing with other children when the drone fired missiles, injuring her. She said she cried in pain as her arm bled after the shrapnel hit her.
According to a September 2012 US study, US drone strikes in Pakistan have killed far more civilians than the US has acknowledged, traumatised innocent tribesmen.
The study by Stanford Law School and New York University``s School of Law called for re-evaluation of the strategy, saying the number of "high-level" targets killed as a percentage of total casualties were extremely low - about two percent.
Rafiqur Rehman, whose mother was killed in the strike, asked: "Was my 65-year-old mother a terrorist or are these little girls terrorists? I want to ask our government and the world community as to why don``t they raise (their) voice for our children," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena Bora murder: Here's how the whole plan unfolded
- Sheena Bora murder: Transit remand for Sanjeev Khanna; to be presented in court
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- DNA: 1965 Indo-Pak war- Analysis of India's victory and exposing Pakistan's lies
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Indrani's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna confesses to police he was involved in Sheena's murder
- A peek into Indrani Mukerjea's past
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Dawood, Hafiz Saeed to be in fix as US, India may join hands to nab them