`US should ask Pakistan to lay off from Kashmir`
Washington: As Obama Administration gears itself for its second term, an eminent American expert on South Asian affairs has said that it is time the US declare that Pakistan has no claim on Kashmir and that the decision of the then Maharaja of Kashmir to accede is final.
Reflecting the changing mood of think-tank and experts in US, the expert in an article in the prestigious Foreign Policy magazine argued that the US should stop seeking to buy Pakistan off with civilian aid or military assistance and make it clear that it will hold Islamabad responsible for any kind of proliferation of nuclear materials that occurs.
"The United States must frankly concede that it has subsidised and incentivised Pakistan to adopt this insane path to security," said C Christine Fair, the assistant professor at Georgetown University`s Security Studies Program in the Edmund A Walsh School of Foreign Service.
"Pakistan`s security managers believe that the United States cannot punish Pakistan for its use of terrorism as a policy tool -- but this is exactly what the US must do.
"While this is not a risk-free proposition, the next administration should consider taking the following steps to deprive Pakistan of the coercive power it covets," she wrote.
According to Fair, Washington must recognise that Pakistan`s nuclear weapons coerce both India and the US.
The US intervention in the region`s frequent crises has shielded Pakistan from bearing the direct cost of its misadventures.
"The US must remove itself from the Indo-Pakistan equation by declaring that it no longer entertains Pakistan`s central claims on Kashmir.”
"Pakistan was not entitled to Kashmir -- the legality of Pakistan`s claims is specious and always has been. The king (Maharaja Hari Singh) of Kashmir had a right to accede to India, which he exercised. The accession was prompted by the invasion of Pakistani marauders that enjoyed extensive direct civilian and military support," Fair said.
"Equally important, the US should rubbish any notion that Pakistan has a positive role to play in ameliorating the suffering of Kashmiris, due to the decades of terrorism it has sponsored in Kashmir and beyond.”
"The United States should instead focus its energies on persuading New Delhi to make right by the reasonable and constitutional demands of its Kashmiri citizenry.”
"This will put India on the spot to follow through and consolidate a hard-won peace," she wrote.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'