`Vaidya` linked students set DPS bus on fire in eastern Nepal
Kathmandu: A school bus belonging to a Delhi Public School branch in eastern Nepal was set afire and another vandalised by activists of a student union affiliated to a hardline breakaway faction of the Maoists, protesting against foreign investment in schools.
Three buses carrying 150 students of class XI and XII were enroute Dharan yesterday, when the radical Maoist student activists stopped and attacked them near Charkose Jungle area at Seuti Khola river.
While one of the bus was set on fire, another was vandalised.
All students, however, were safe and another school bus was sent to rescue them later.
The student union -- All Nepal National Free Students Union - Revolutionary (ANNFSUR) is affiliated to the CPN-Maoist party led by hardliner Mohan Vaidya "Kiran" who recently broke away ranks with the Prachanda-led Maoists to form a more radical outfit.
Delhi Public School Dharan is affiliated to India`s Delhi Public School.
The union had also enforced a two-day shutdown in Dharan and Sunsari districts over the last two days to protest against schools operating under foreign investments, promoting foreign culture and charging high fees.
Some eight student unions have been protesting since the past few months.
However, ANNFSU-R close to the CPN-Maoist was mainly responsible for the attack carried out yesterday, sources said.
"It`s a heinous crime to attack school buses despite the fact that schools are declared peace zone," Dil Kumar Ban, Chairman of Private and Boarding School Organisation Nepal (PABSON) said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert