`Vaidya` linked students set DPS bus on fire in eastern Nepal
Kathmandu: A school bus belonging to a Delhi Public School branch in eastern Nepal was set afire and another vandalised by activists of a student union affiliated to a hardline breakaway faction of the Maoists, protesting against foreign investment in schools.
Three buses carrying 150 students of class XI and XII were enroute Dharan yesterday, when the radical Maoist student activists stopped and attacked them near Charkose Jungle area at Seuti Khola river.
While one of the bus was set on fire, another was vandalised.
All students, however, were safe and another school bus was sent to rescue them later.
The student union -- All Nepal National Free Students Union - Revolutionary (ANNFSUR) is affiliated to the CPN-Maoist party led by hardliner Mohan Vaidya "Kiran" who recently broke away ranks with the Prachanda-led Maoists to form a more radical outfit.
Delhi Public School Dharan is affiliated to India`s Delhi Public School.
The union had also enforced a two-day shutdown in Dharan and Sunsari districts over the last two days to protest against schools operating under foreign investments, promoting foreign culture and charging high fees.
Some eight student unions have been protesting since the past few months.
However, ANNFSU-R close to the CPN-Maoist was mainly responsible for the attack carried out yesterday, sources said.
"It`s a heinous crime to attack school buses despite the fact that schools are declared peace zone," Dil Kumar Ban, Chairman of Private and Boarding School Organisation Nepal (PABSON) said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch - Parrikar's reply to Mamata's military coup claim
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'