`Vaidya` linked students set DPS bus on fire in eastern Nepal
Kathmandu: A school bus belonging to a Delhi Public School branch in eastern Nepal was set afire and another vandalised by activists of a student union affiliated to a hardline breakaway faction of the Maoists, protesting against foreign investment in schools.
Three buses carrying 150 students of class XI and XII were enroute Dharan yesterday, when the radical Maoist student activists stopped and attacked them near Charkose Jungle area at Seuti Khola river.
While one of the bus was set on fire, another was vandalised.
All students, however, were safe and another school bus was sent to rescue them later.
The student union -- All Nepal National Free Students Union - Revolutionary (ANNFSUR) is affiliated to the CPN-Maoist party led by hardliner Mohan Vaidya "Kiran" who recently broke away ranks with the Prachanda-led Maoists to form a more radical outfit.
Delhi Public School Dharan is affiliated to India`s Delhi Public School.
The union had also enforced a two-day shutdown in Dharan and Sunsari districts over the last two days to protest against schools operating under foreign investments, promoting foreign culture and charging high fees.
Some eight student unions have been protesting since the past few months.
However, ANNFSU-R close to the CPN-Maoist was mainly responsible for the attack carried out yesterday, sources said.
"It`s a heinous crime to attack school buses despite the fact that schools are declared peace zone," Dil Kumar Ban, Chairman of Private and Boarding School Organisation Nepal (PABSON) said in a statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks