Will back Sri Lanka on UN resolution: China
Beijing: China says it will back Sri Lanka and oppose a proposed UN resolution calling on the island nation to probe wartime rights abuses.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Hong Lei told a news conference on Thursday that China believes the Sri Lankan government and people are capable of dealing with the issue themselves.
Sri Lanka`s government sees the US-backed resolution as interference in the country`s internal affairs. The UN Human Rights Council is expected to vote on the resolution this week.
Sri Lankan soldiers defeated Tamil Tiger rebels to end a quarter-century civil war in 2009. Both sides have been accused of serious human rights violations.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India
- Failed to secure confirmed reservation in train? Now you can travel in pantry car!
- Europe to 'free up space' by kicking out tens of thousands of Pakistanis