Will of people not to be overruled again: Sharif on 1999 coup
Islamabad: Exactly 14 years after his government was overthrown in a military coup, Pakistan Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif today said the will of the people will never be overruled again in the country.
Sharif made the remarks while referring to the October 12, 1999, coup, when the then army chief General Pervez Musharraf overthrew Sharif`s democratically elected government.
Sharif said the future of the country was in democracy.
"We have an elected parliament, an independent judiciary and vibrant media to guard the freedom and liberties of the people of Pakistan as enshrined in the Constitution," Sharif was quoted as saying by the state-run APP news agency.
"Insha Allah (God willing) we the chosen representatives of people, will strive hard to strengthen democracy, and to establish rule of law," he said.
Former military ruler Musharraf had overthrown the Sharif`s elected government and sent him into exile in Saudi Arabia.
Musharraf has been held for nearly six months at his Chak Shahzad farmhouse, guarded by nearly 300 security personnel, including soldiers and snipers.
He took power in a 1999 coup and ruled as President until he resigned when he was threatened with impeachment in 2008.
He then went into self-imposed exile and returned to Pakistan in March in a bid to resurrect his political career.
The former president has sought bail in Lal Masjid operation case. Musharraf was earlier granted bail in three other cases registered against him for the assassination of former premier Benazir Bhutto, the murder of Baloch leader Akbar Bugti and the imposition of emergency in 2007.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Meet Lynlee Hope - Texas baby who was 'born' twice!
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon