Rare moon rock found on earth
Sydney: Scientists have stumbled upon tranquillityite, a mineral considered unique to the moon, in the remote Pilbara region of Western Australia.
Researchers at The University of Western Australia`s Centre for Microscopy, Characterisation and Analysis (CMCA) identified the mineral.
The Pilbara rocks in which tranquillityite occurs were once thought to have been about 820 million years old but new dating by Birger Rasmussen, professor and colleagues at Curtin University has shown that they are about 1,040 million years old, the journal Geology reports.
Tranquillityite, named after the Sea of Tranquillity, where the Apollo 11 moon-walkers landed in July 1969, was tentatively identified by Birger Rasmussen, professor from Curtin University, while studying a polished slice of earthly rock in a scanning electron microscope, according to a Western Australia statement.
When lunar rocks were first analysed in the 1970s after having been brought to earth by US astronauts Neil Armstrong, Edwin `Buzz` Aldrin and Michael Collins, scientists identified three minerals - armalcolite (after Armstrong, Aldrin and Collins), pyroxferroite and tranquillityite - that they believed were unique to the Moon.
Armalcolite and pyroxferroite were later found on Earth, but then CMCA`s Janet Muhling and Alexandra Suvorova and colleagues from Curtin University, showed that tranquillityite also occured on earth.
To confirm the identity of the Pilbara mineral, Muhling analysed its composition by collecting X-rays emitted when the sample was targeted by an electron beam in the electron microscope.
This showed that the terrestrial mineral was made up of the same elements as lunar tranquillityite. Electron diffraction showed that the two minerals have the same crystal structure.
Previously, tranquillityite was thought to exist only in returned moon samples and lunar - and possibly Martian - meteorites. The researchers believe tranquilliltyite is the final `lunar` mineral to be found on earth because it is rare, small and prone to change.
The so-called sea (Pilbara region) is actually a giant impact crater that appears dark because it is filled with dark basaltic rocks. It was first named by Italian astronomer Giambattista Riccioli in 1651.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015