Romanian accused of hacking NASA-JPL computers
Los Angeles: A federal grand jury has indicted a Romanian citizen on charges he hacked into 25 climate-research computers at NASA`s Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena.
Tuesday`s indictment charges Robert Butyka, 25, with one count of unauthorized impairment of a protected computer, according to the U.S. attorney`s office in Los Angeles.
Officials said the 2010 attack made computers in the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder Program unusable for two months while malicious code was removed and data restored. The program is used in climate research and weather forecasting.
The U.S. attorney`s office said NASA worked with Romanian authorities, resulting in Butyka`s conviction in Romania last month. He has been sentenced to three years in prison there and would face a sentence of up to 10 years if convicted in the U.S.
JPL spokeswoman Veronica McGregor said it won`t disclose how far the hacker got into the system, but he wasn`t able to access the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder instrument in space that transmits weather measurements back to Earth.
Damage from the hacking was estimated at $500,000, including costs of work on the computers and lost research time.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents