Russia calls for international effort in manned Mars mission
New York : The failure of the latest Mars mission made Russia drop its plans to independently research the Red Planet and now the national space agency Roscosmos eyes international effort in the endeavor.
Roscosmos deputy head Sergei Savelyev said yesterday in New York that a manned flight to Mars can be carried out only by joint effort of space powers.
"Such a large-scale mission demands new technologies and means, mostly new engines, efficient protection from radiation and other factors of aggressive space environment.
It is necessary to create a highly efficient life-supporting system and train people for such work," Savelyev said.
The mission will demand time and major investments and "can be accomplished only through international cooperation. Russia is ready to cooperate in the issue with the United States, Europe, and other countries," he said.
Russia`s inter-planetary space probe Fobos-Grunt which had to bring to the Earth samples from Mars` satellite, was launched in November 2011 but failed to enter the expected trajectory, and on January 15 its debris splashed into the Pacific Ocean.
After the failure of the Mars mission, which devoured 15 years and nearly five billion rubles, Roscosmos lost much of its enthusiasm about inter-planetary research.
The head of Roscosmos, Vladimir Popovkin, warned against dragging the economy into a "new space race", because the previous one, he said, caused the USSR first to go broke and eventually break up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra