Russia calls for international effort in manned Mars mission
New York : The failure of the latest Mars mission made Russia drop its plans to independently research the Red Planet and now the national space agency Roscosmos eyes international effort in the endeavor.
Roscosmos deputy head Sergei Savelyev said yesterday in New York that a manned flight to Mars can be carried out only by joint effort of space powers.
"Such a large-scale mission demands new technologies and means, mostly new engines, efficient protection from radiation and other factors of aggressive space environment.
It is necessary to create a highly efficient life-supporting system and train people for such work," Savelyev said.
The mission will demand time and major investments and "can be accomplished only through international cooperation. Russia is ready to cooperate in the issue with the United States, Europe, and other countries," he said.
Russia`s inter-planetary space probe Fobos-Grunt which had to bring to the Earth samples from Mars` satellite, was launched in November 2011 but failed to enter the expected trajectory, and on January 15 its debris splashed into the Pacific Ocean.
After the failure of the Mars mission, which devoured 15 years and nearly five billion rubles, Roscosmos lost much of its enthusiasm about inter-planetary research.
The head of Roscosmos, Vladimir Popovkin, warned against dragging the economy into a "new space race", because the previous one, he said, caused the USSR first to go broke and eventually break up.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row
- JNU students call terrorist Afzal Guru a martyr amid anti-nationalist slogans
- DNA: JNU students clash over Afzal Guru row
- Panel discussion on clashes at JNU over Afzal Guru row- Part II
- PM Modi breaks protocol to receive Abu Dhabi Crown Prince Al Nahyan
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed
- AAP poster showing Arvind Kejriwal with Bhindranwale sparks row in Punjab
- Video of Hanumanthappa's rescue that went viral on social media is fake - Watch
- Paid sex: Good or bad? This girl was too eager to find out - Watch what happened!