Russia, Europe plan joint mission to Jupiter
Moscow: Top officials of Russia`s federal space agency Roscosmos and the European Space Agency (ESA) met in Moscow to discuss a Moon research mission and a flight to Jupiter, officials said.
Roscosmos head Vladimir Popovkin and ESA director-general Jean-Jacques Dordain met in the Russian capital.
Russia and Europe are considering five research projects -- a flight to Jupiter with a stopover at one of its icy satellites, delivery of soil samples from the polar region of the Moon, study of Venus` atmosphere and landing on the planet, flying to near-Earth asteroids and delivery of soil samples to Earth, and the establishment of an astronomical observatory on the basis of a space telescope.
The Moon research mission is planned for 2016-2020, and the Jupiter mission -- that will land on its moon Ganymede -- after 2020.
Popovkin said after the meeting that he has no doubt in the possibility of the technical realisation of these projects.
But there should be closer cooperation between Russian and European enterprises to transform them into life.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- The inside story of IC-814 hijacking
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader