Russia joins ESA for exploratory robotic mission to Mars
New Delhi: Russia’s federal space agency Roscosmos and the European Space Agency (ESA) are set to conduct an ExoMars joint project on Mars exploration.
The head of Roscosmos, Vladimir Popovkin, and Director General of ESA Jean-Jacques Dordain held talks on Russia’s participation in ExoMars and signed a document on cooperation, a spokeswoman for Roscosmos told local media.
“The talks yielded a statement of intent regarding the joint exploratory robotic mission to Mars,” English.news.cn quoted the spokeswoman as saying.
According to the Roscosmos, the two sides would sign a final agreement in November after confirming financial details of the project.
ExoMars, which is currently under development by the ESA, is a robotic mission to Mars for searching possible biosignature of Martian life.
Initially, the project envisaged the launch of a mission to Mars orbit in 2016, followed by landing a ground vehicle in 2018 with the participation of the U.S. National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).
ESA turned to Russia for support after NASA refused to provide the project with an Atlas-5 rocket as a carrier to deliver a space vehicle to Mars.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31