Russia unveils robot for space missions
Moscow: Russia has built an android -- a robot resembling a human being -- to work in orbit.
The robot, S-400, will be Russia`s first space robot in more than two decades, the Izvestia daily said.
It can perform simple tasks such as screwing bolts and searching the spacecraft for damage.
The robot will be sent to the International Space Station (ISS) within two years` time, and will also be joining future missions to the Moon and Mars, the paper said.
Cosmonaut Sergei Avdeyev said S-400`s trip to the ISS will be a "test" before "more interesting tasks".
Oleg Saprykin, an official at Russia`s space agency Roscosmos, said S-400 was the country`s "first step towards a robot cosmonaut".
"Manipulators were designed for (Soviet space shuttle) Buran and the Mir space station, but they did not get into space in the end," Saprykin said.
The US has already launched an android, Robonaut, to the ISS. Japan and Germany are also planning to send androids in space.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray