Tides may turn habitable planets into hothouses
London: Scientists say tides may dry out what would otherwise be habitable planets around small stars, making them hostile to life.
Rory Barnes of the University of Washington in Seattle and his colleagues examined what would happen to Earth-like planets orbiting the most common type of star in the galaxy: red dwarfs.
These stars are much cooler and fainter than the sun, suggesting that the habitable zones around them - in which planets can have liquid water on their surface - are much closer in.
So, any planets orbiting in those zones feel very strong gravitational tugs from the star, the New Scientist reported.
The star’s pull squeezes and stretches the planet, heating it up.
The researchers found that stars with a mass less than a third of that of our sun have habitable zones so close in that this tidal heating would evaporate any planet`s water.
Light from the planet’s star would then split the water vapour into hydrogen, which would escape into space, and oxygen, which could go on to form the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide.
Planets blanketed in CO2 would heat up further, developing into uninhabitable hothouses like Venus, the team concluded.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India