Tides may turn habitable planets into hothouses
London: Scientists say tides may dry out what would otherwise be habitable planets around small stars, making them hostile to life.
Rory Barnes of the University of Washington in Seattle and his colleagues examined what would happen to Earth-like planets orbiting the most common type of star in the galaxy: red dwarfs.
These stars are much cooler and fainter than the sun, suggesting that the habitable zones around them - in which planets can have liquid water on their surface - are much closer in.
So, any planets orbiting in those zones feel very strong gravitational tugs from the star, the New Scientist reported.
The star’s pull squeezes and stretches the planet, heating it up.
The researchers found that stars with a mass less than a third of that of our sun have habitable zones so close in that this tidal heating would evaporate any planet`s water.
Light from the planet’s star would then split the water vapour into hydrogen, which would escape into space, and oxygen, which could go on to form the greenhouse gas carbon dioxide.
Planets blanketed in CO2 would heat up further, developing into uninhabitable hothouses like Venus, the team concluded.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof