Twin NASA probes reach lunar orbit
Washington: New Year`s Eve and New Year`s Day saw twin US spacecraft entering lunar orbit to study the moon, NASA said.
The second Gravity Recovery And Interior Laboratory, or GRAIL-B, reached its lunar orbit at 2243 GMT Sunday, while the GRAIL-A started orbiting the moon at 2200 GMT Saturday.
The insertion manoeuvres placed the spacecraft in a near-polar, elliptical orbit with an orbital period of approximately 11.5 hours, Xinhua quoted NASA as saying.
Over the coming weeks, the GRAIL team will execute a series of burns with each spacecraft to reduce their orbital period to just under two hours.
At the start of the science phase in March 2012, the twin GRAILs will be in a near-polar, near-circular orbit with an altitude of about 55 km.
"NASA greets the new year with a new mission of exploration," NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said in a statement. "The twin GRAIL spacecraft will vastly expand our knowledge of our moon and the evolution of our own planet."
During GRAIL`s science mission, the two probes will transmit radio signals precisely defining the distance between them.
As they fly over areas of greater and lesser gravity caused by visible features such as mountains, craters and masses hidden beneath the lunar surface, the distance between the twin spacecraft will change slightly.
Scientists will translate this information into a high-resolution map of the moon`s gravitational field.
The data will allow scientists to understand what goes on below the lunar surface and increase knowledge of how Earth and its rocky neighbours in the inner solar system developed into the diverse worlds we see today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced