Pune blast fallout: Security tightened around Goa Carnival
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Sunday, February 14, 2010, 15:19
  
Panaji: The ongoing Carnival parades in Goa will now be under severe security scanner after Pune bomb blast which is an indicator that soft targets are on terrorists' radar, senior police officer said here on Sunday.

The carnival parades, showcasing floats, dancer and fancily dressed artists, is a three-day event began Sunday and would be held in major cities across the state.

"We have strengthened the security around Carnival festival. There are three more days left for the festivities," deputy Inspector General (DIG) Ravindra Yadav said.

The event organised by the state tourism department had been a huge crowd drawer with around 50,000 people basking in festivities in each city daily.

State police, after smooth conduct of parade in Panaji this Sunday, are now wary about the parades in cities of Margao, Mapusa and Vasco, lined up for next three days.

A senior police officer said that since scanning every person taking part in the carnival is not possible plain clothed policemen would be posted in the crowd as a precautionary measure.

Key police officials who held an emergency meeting last evening after Pune blast have asked district heads to heighten the security apparatus around susceptible spots.

"Entire staff has been put on high alert. We have directed them to take anti terrorist measures including anti-sabotage checking at crowded places," Yadav said.

PTI


First Published: Sunday, February 14, 2010, 15:19


comments powered by Disqus