Anti-Nuke stir: KNPP staff stranded inside complex
Tirunelveli (TN): A number of employees of
Koodankulam Nuclear Power plant are stranded inside the
complex due to the ongoing stir by anti-KNPP activists.
With the roads blocked by protesters, employees who had
arrived to relieve those inside since yesterday were unable to
enter the plant, KNPP Director Kasinath Balaji said.
Employees of the Emergency services wing at the plant
have been stuck inside since yesterday and have been provided
essential supplies," he said.
For the third consecutive day, anti-KNPP protesters
prevented scientists and other workers from entering the
plant, but after talks with officials, they allowed delivery
of essential commodities for workers staying inside the
In another development, miscreants allegedly disrupted
water supply to a colony close to the project site, where over
900 construction labourers reside, affecting supply to a
section of dwelling units.
As the second phase of the agitation, in which 106
anti-KNPP protesters are on an indefinite fast in Idinthakarai
village, entered the eighth day today, normal life was
affected in at least 10 villages in and around the hamlet.
Fishermen did not venture out to sea, expressing solidarity
with the activists.
A top KNPP official said that fear about the nuclear
plant`s safety was "unfounded" and alleged some "mischievous
elements" were deliberately spreading rumours.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says