Families of 5 arrested fishermen observe fast
Rameswaram (TN): Families of five fishermen,
arrested by Sri Lankan Navy personnel last month, today sat on
a day-long fast to demand their immediate release.
Women members of the fishermen families also held a
prayer meet here for the safe release of the fishermen,
Fisheries department officials said.
Leaders of various fishermen`s associations also
assembled at the prayer meet in support of the families.
District Secretary of Tamil Nadu Coastal Mechanised Boats
Fishermen Association, P Seshuraja claimed fishermen are
hesitant to put out to sea fearing attacks by Lankan naval
The Lankan Navy personnel had arrested the five fishermen
on drug smuggling charges on November 28, triggering protests
from local fishermen, who refused to put out to sea until a
solution was found.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened