Fishermen row: DMK demands probe by India, UAE
New Delhi: DMK Thursday demanded a joint investigation by India and UAE into the firing on fishermen by a US Navy ship that resulted in the death of one of them as also interim compensation to the injured.
In a memorandum to Prime Minister Manmohan Singh, DMK MPs also asked the government to ensure that full compensation to the deceased and three injured fishermen be paid by the US, UAE and the Dubai-based companies which employed them.
A fisherman was killed and three others -- all hailing from Tamil Nadu -- were wounded when a security team onboard a US Navy ship fired at their small boat off the Dubai coast early this week.
"Government must impress upon them (the US) for a full investigation in the case so that it would help to avoid tragic incidents of this kind in future elsewhere in the world," the memorandum said.
The MPs noted that the Dubai incident as well as the firing on Tamil fishermen by Sri Lankan authorities have caused restlessness and a sense of desolation among thousands of fishermen communities that live along the 1,100 km coastline of the state.
They demanded that government should ensure that the body of Sekar, who died in the incident, be brought back to India immediately and proper treatment be given to the three injured.
"Pending payment from the US, UAE administration, Dubai companies, an interim payment and provision for employment to the kin of deceased and injured fishermen" be provided by the government of India, they said.
The government should also press for a join investigation by UAE and Indian authorities into the incident, they added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing