Man sends `bribe` by DD; stuns municipal authorities
Tamil Nadu: Vexed over the delay in getting a birth certificate, a man here hit upon a bizarre idea of sending a demand draft for Rs 100 as bribe to a local body, stunning the municipality authorities who made amends for the lapse and home delivered the document.
Rattled on receiving the DD and the accompanying note which mentioned it as bribe, Municipality Commissioner Sermakani swung into action, reprimanded concerned officials and asked them to deliver the birth certificate at the home of the applicant, who is an auditor.
An official inquiry has been ordered into the incident by the Municipal Administration department, officials said.
Palanisamy, a resident of the town, took the step inspired by a banner put up here by the local Congress unit mentioning the "bribe" amount required to be paid for getting things done in the municipality as part of its campaign against alleged corruption in the local body.
He told reporters today that his son, who got a job in a multi-national company, wanted his birth certificate and he applied for it on May 15 last paying the required fee of Rs 55. The certificate should be given within seven days. But he did not receive it even after 15 days.
Meanwhile, he saw the Congress banner and drew a draft for Rs 100 on June 9 and sent it to the Municipal Commissioner with a copy of the letter to District Collector M Balaji.
Officials of the municipality, including Health officer Baskaran and Chairperson Shanthi met him and pacified him and gave the certificate yesterday, authorities said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...