No freebies in bypoll-bound districts: CEO
Chennai: Sending a clear message that no
freebies of AIADMK Government be implemented in Tirunelveli
and Tuticorin districts in view of March 18 Sankarankoil
assembly by-election, Tamil Nadu Chief Electoral Officer
Praveen Kumar on Saturday said all efforts would be made to ensure a
free and fair poll in the constituency.
With the model code of conduct coming into effect in these
two districts under which the constituency falls, no new
schemes should be announced till the polling process was
completed, he told reporters.
"There should be no announcement of new schemes, or
inclusion of new beneficiaries," he said adding the state
governments` schemes (free mixie, grinder, fan or laptops)
should not be implemented in both the districts during this
On the measures for the conduct of the bypoll, caused by
the death of Minister C Karuppasamy last year, he said most of
the process including filing of nominations would be
"Ten flying squads and static squads are in place to
recover any illegal cash," he said adding outsiders would be
asked to leave the constituency ahead of polling.
Around 1,200 polling personnel will be on duty in the 2.05
lakh voter constituency. The number of polling booths had
increased compared to the April 2011 polls, Kumar said.
AIADMK and its arch rival DMK have already announced their
candidates for the bypoll.
Vaiko-led MDMK, which had boycotted the assembly elections
last year, has announced it will contest the bypoll while
actor Vijaykanth-led DMDK is also likely to field its
candidate, making it a four-cornered battle.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees