Plea to detain anti-KNPP activist moved to Chennai
Madurai: The Madras High Court Bench here
on Sunday transferred a PIL seeking invoking of National Security
Act agsint SP Udayakumar, who is spearheading the protests
against the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP), to
R Sivakumar, a Madurai-based hotelier, had filed the PIL
seeking to direct the district authorities of Tirunelveli,
where the plant is located to take deterrent steps to put
down the "violent activities" of Udayakumar, the coordinator
of People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMA), and detain
him under NSA.
Justices N Paul Vasanthakumar and P Devadass said there
was an administrative order issued by the Chief Justice of the
Madras High Court to transfer cases relating to KNPP to the
principal seat, and transferred the case.
The petitioner`s counsel M Patturajan said unless the High
Court intervened in the matter and directed authorities to
take deterrent steps to put down the "violent activities" of
Udayakumar and apprehend him under NSA, "this agitation will
not come to an end in the near future".
In the PIL, the petitioner said a Peace Committee, made
of members of the local population living around the plant,
also came to the conclusion that the villagers who are
agitating against the KNPP were being "thoroughly misled".
Udayakumar was instigating the people to siege KNPP and he
was "intimidating" the scientists and authorities at the Plant
to remove uranium from the site, he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Aamir Khan turns host for team 'Dangal'!
- No curfew in Srinagar, continues in south Kashmir
- Cockroach milk – The next big 'superfood' and a fantastic protein supplement?
- NASA explains the case of Ceres' missing large craters- Watch the video!
- Bipasha Basu tells you how to combat bad hair day! Pic inside