Plea to detain anti-KNPP activist moved to Chennai
Madurai: The Madras High Court Bench here
on Sunday transferred a PIL seeking invoking of National Security
Act agsint SP Udayakumar, who is spearheading the protests
against the Koodankulam Nuclear Power Plant (KNPP), to
R Sivakumar, a Madurai-based hotelier, had filed the PIL
seeking to direct the district authorities of Tirunelveli,
where the plant is located to take deterrent steps to put
down the "violent activities" of Udayakumar, the coordinator
of People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMA), and detain
him under NSA.
Justices N Paul Vasanthakumar and P Devadass said there
was an administrative order issued by the Chief Justice of the
Madras High Court to transfer cases relating to KNPP to the
principal seat, and transferred the case.
The petitioner`s counsel M Patturajan said unless the High
Court intervened in the matter and directed authorities to
take deterrent steps to put down the "violent activities" of
Udayakumar and apprehend him under NSA, "this agitation will
not come to an end in the near future".
In the PIL, the petitioner said a Peace Committee, made
of members of the local population living around the plant,
also came to the conclusion that the villagers who are
agitating against the KNPP were being "thoroughly misled".
Udayakumar was instigating the people to siege KNPP and he
was "intimidating" the scientists and authorities at the Plant
to remove uranium from the site, he alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing