TN: Jaya orders judicial probe into firing case
Ramanathapuram/Chennai: The situation in
Ramanathapuram district is slowly returning to normalcy after being marred by violence leading to the police firing on a stone-pelting mob at Paramakudi, which claimed seven lives.
"The situation in most parts of the district is
peaceful... a holiday has been declared for all educational
institutions in the district," Collector N Arun Roy told reporters.
Prohibitory orders are still in force, he added.
With two more persons succumbing to injuries at a hospital
late last night, the toll in the firing rose to seven.
In Chennai, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa told the state
Assembly that a retired High Court Judge would probe the
firing incident which, she indicated, could have been the
culmination of communal tension.
"Some of you (opposition members) who spoke here said it
was not communal violence. If it be so, we are also happy. But
the fact is that derogatory remarks were written on a wall in
Mandalamanickam pacheri village (Ramanathapuram district)
against Pasumpon Muthuramalinga Thevar (a highly respected
nationalist leader)," she said.
"Following this a Class XI student Palanikumar from the
village was killed on September 9. Then (Dalit leader) John
Pandian leaves (to pay homage on the death anniversary of
Dalit leader Imanuel Sekaran) and violence breaks out.
Therefore, all these incidents have happened in an
inter-connected chain-like fashion," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- World can now see consequences of Pakistan occupation in PoK: India
- Indrani Mukerjea's condition critical due to drug overdose; Maha govt orders inquiry
- ISL 2015: Chennaiyin FC vs Atletico de Kolkata - Preview
- Singh Is Bliing movie review: Watch it for Akshay Kumar!
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'