TN panel submits report on Kudankulam
Chennai: The four-member committee set up by
Tamil Nadu Government on the safety aspects of Kudankulam
nuclear power plant on Tuesday submitted its report to Chief
Minister J Jayalalithaa amid indication that it has given a
clean chit to the controversial project stalled by protests.
Committee Convenor Prof S Iniyan handed over the report to
Jayalalithaa but declined to divulge details, saying the
government would take follow up action.
"As I said earlier", Iniyan said when asked about the
committee`s findings on safety aspects.
After visiting the site and talking to the anti-KNPP
protesters recently, Iniyan had said the plant was equipped
to deal with any situation such as earthquakes and tsunami
strikes and its third generation reactors would shut down
automatically in case of any problem.
The team, which also includes former atomic energy
commission chairman MR Srinivasan, had reviewed the safety
measures during its inspection of the plant on February 18
and met members of the anti-KNPP struggle committee led by SP
Udayakumar the next day.
"Let the government take a cool view on the report",
He had earlier said the state-of-the-art safety features
incorporated in the KNPP reactors had made it a third
Generation Plus` reactor.
The committee, set up by Jayalalithaa to break the impasse
caused by the over five month long protests, was given two
tasks -- reviewing safety features and allaying concerns of
the local people.
The commissioning of the first reactor of the Indo-Russian
joint venture, originally scheduled for December last, has
been delayed following the continuing protests by the locals
who have raised safety concerns.
Talks initiated both by the Central and state governments
with the agitators had failed to break the deadlock.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?