`Window panes of boat damaged by Sri Lankan Navy`
Rameswaram (TN): Window panes of a boat, part of 78 others which had put out to sea from this coastal town, were damaged in an attack allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel, fisheries department sources said.
They also took away the fish catch from 10 boats.
Sri Lankan naval personnel allegedly threw beer bottles and stones at the boat last night, damaging the windowpanes. Later they surrounded the boats and threatened the fishers to leave the area, the sources said.
Meanwhile, about 11 organisations of fishers did not put out to sea for the fifth consecutive day, demanding release of five fishermen arrested by the Lankan Navy in November 2011.
Meanwhile, Fishermen`s Association president Arulanandam said a Sri Lankan court had on August 7 released four fishermen, arrested by the Lankan Navy three months ago on charges of smuggling snuff, after ordering them to pay Rs 1.05 lakh as fine and impounded their boats.
It was expected that they would come to Rameswaram within two days, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees
- Cabinet meeting on 7th Pay Commission may approve higher salaries for govt employees - Part II
- Monsoon havoc: Delhi lacks proper drainage system
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees