`Window panes of boat damaged by Sri Lankan Navy`
Rameswaram (TN): Window panes of a boat, part of 78 others which had put out to sea from this coastal town, were damaged in an attack allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel, fisheries department sources said.
They also took away the fish catch from 10 boats.
Sri Lankan naval personnel allegedly threw beer bottles and stones at the boat last night, damaging the windowpanes. Later they surrounded the boats and threatened the fishers to leave the area, the sources said.
Meanwhile, about 11 organisations of fishers did not put out to sea for the fifth consecutive day, demanding release of five fishermen arrested by the Lankan Navy in November 2011.
Meanwhile, Fishermen`s Association president Arulanandam said a Sri Lankan court had on August 7 released four fishermen, arrested by the Lankan Navy three months ago on charges of smuggling snuff, after ordering them to pay Rs 1.05 lakh as fine and impounded their boats.
It was expected that they would come to Rameswaram within two days, he added.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed