`Window panes of boat damaged by Sri Lankan Navy`
Rameswaram (TN): Window panes of a boat, part of 78 others which had put out to sea from this coastal town, were damaged in an attack allegedly by Sri Lankan naval personnel, fisheries department sources said.
They also took away the fish catch from 10 boats.
Sri Lankan naval personnel allegedly threw beer bottles and stones at the boat last night, damaging the windowpanes. Later they surrounded the boats and threatened the fishers to leave the area, the sources said.
Meanwhile, about 11 organisations of fishers did not put out to sea for the fifth consecutive day, demanding release of five fishermen arrested by the Lankan Navy in November 2011.
Meanwhile, Fishermen`s Association president Arulanandam said a Sri Lankan court had on August 7 released four fishermen, arrested by the Lankan Navy three months ago on charges of smuggling snuff, after ordering them to pay Rs 1.05 lakh as fine and impounded their boats.
It was expected that they would come to Rameswaram within two days, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof