Cop in video footage on dancing Jarawa identified
New Delhi: Andaman and Nicobar Island police
have identified one of its personnel who was allegedly
involved in the controversial `human safari` episode where
members of Jarawa tribe were made to dance in return for food
by foreign tourists.
Strict action will be taken the cop, sources said here.
The cop was recently identified after a through
examination of the video footage and the sound sample as he
had briefly appeared in one of the video footages, they added.
The video was shot in September 2008 and the inquiry is
on to identify another man who had appeared in it in military
overalls, the sources said.
Though the name of the accused has not yet been divulged
by the cops, sources said the Andaman and Nicobar
administration has informed the Tribal Affairs Ministry and
National Commission for Scheduled Tribes (NCST) on the
Initially, Andaman police had denied the involvement of
its personnel in the episode.
A special team was formed by the Andaman police under a
Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP) to seek the help of
cyber cell of central agencies in cracking the computer
through which the video was first hosted on social networking
While the Tribal Affairs Ministry had ordered a probe in
the case, NCST had issued a notice to the Andaman
administration demanding a report on the action taken by them
to stop `human safaris`.
The incident had come to the fore last month when video
footages showed some of their members, including women, in
The group was allegedly exploited by foreign tourists who
made them dance for food.
Following the episode, the Tribal Affairs Ministry had
suggested stringent action against the people involved in such
acts and recommended punishment for the tour operators
involved in such safaris.
Government is also looking at the options of closing down
the Andaman Trunk Road (ATR) which passes through the
protected forest zone inhabited by Jarawas.
Meanwhile, to prevent unscrupulous elements from
exploiting the presence of the Jarawas, the administration
recently increased the size of the Jarawa reserve from 847 sq
kms to 1,028 sq kms in 2004.
To ensure safety and dignity of Jarawa tribes, it has
also completely banned photography and videography in the area
and outsiders are not allowed to interact with the local
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly