Dalit killed in clashes between protesters, police
Agra: A Dalit was shot dead on the Agra-Firozabad highway in Uttar Pradesh in exchange of firing between the police and protesters demanding compensation for an accident victim, an official said.
A Provincial Armed Constabulary (PAC) trooper was also seriously hit on the head in stone-pelting by villagers of the Chalesar area late Thursday evening.
The clashes continued for over two hours after a speeding Scorpio vehicle hit Raj Kumar, of Bangara village in Etmadpur, who was crossing the road. Both his legs were badly crushed.
A large crowd gathered on the highway and blocked traffic. After failing to clear the jam, police used tear gas shells, rubber bullets and a mild baton charge, and the villagers retaliated by pelting stones and firing back.
A bullet hit Ashok of Bangara village who fell on the ground. Police took him to the SN Medical College where doctors pronounced him dead.
Deputy Inspector General Aseem Arun said that the family of the deceased has filed a First Information Report (FIR) against three people of the village who, they alleged, took advantage of the situation and killed him.
Arun said the police had used rubber bullets and tear gas shells. An inquiry has been ordered to find out how Ashok was hit and died, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- Gurmehar Kaur controversy: Twitter turns into battleground after Virender Sehwag trolls Kargil martyr's daughter
- WATCH: Chris Gayle hits Saeed Ajmal with three huge back-to-back sixes in PSL
- Drunk businessman molests air hostesses on Jet Airways Mumbai-Nagpur flight