Kosi Kalan riot: Bukhari slams SP for late action
Agra: Syed Ahmed Bukhari, the Shahi Imam of Delhi`s Jama Masjid, Monday accused the ruling SP in Uttar Pradesh of taking late action in the Kosi Kalan communal riots and said he will give a second thought on supporting the party in the forthcoming municipal elections and 2014 General polls.
Hitting out at SP, for whom he had sought support in the state assembly elections, Bukhari said, "It took so much time (for the government) to take action and bring things under control...The Muslims voted for the Samajwadi Party in the state assembly elections and now Muslims are at the losing end...Their morale is breaking."
"I will have to think about our (Muslim community) relationship with SP, especially in the context of forthcoming municipal elections and 2014 Lok Sabha polls," he told reporters at the circuit house here yesterday after being refused entry to the riot-hit town.
Bukhari said he wanted to meet members of the affected Muslim community there.
Alleging that the riots were "pre-planned", he said the government was not taking any strong action in the case.
"Neither the Chief Minister (Akhilesh Yadav) nor (SP chief) Mulayam Singh (Yadav) visited the site. The top leaders of the party ought to have visited the riot-hit place," he said.
Bukhari also demanded adequate compensation for the riot victims.
Four persons were killed and 16 others injured in the communal clash that broke out in Kosi Kalan, about 45 km from Mathura, on Friday reportedly after a pedestrian used water meant for some religious purpose.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- Is Akhilesh Yadav seeking votes based on development made by Modi govt?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Mau
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Gurmehar Kaur reacts to Virender Sehwag's tweet, says she is heart broken!
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy