Nanded: MGNREGA success boosts water conservation
Mumbai: A successful use of Mahatma Gandhi
National Rural Employment Act (MGNREGA) in Nanded, one of the
most backward districts of Maharashtra, has seen groundwater
levels improving dramatically over the past three years.
Shrikar Pardeshi, District Collector, received an
award from Prime Minister Manmohan Singh for "Effective
Initiative under MGNREGA" for 2010-11 a few days ago.
"(Over last three years) The groundwater level in the
district has increased by 9 meters. The number of tankers
supplying water to the villages came down from 425 to just 27,
while the number of wells requisitioned came down from 910 to
"In the previous three years, the expenditure on
water scarcity solutions was Rs 21 crore every year. Now, for
2011-12, that has come down to mere Rs 1.4 crore," Pardeshi
told reporters here.
This was possible because of co-ordination of local
bodies and Revenue and Agriculture departments, he said.
In the year 2011-12, 9,300 check dams were built in
the district, located in Central Maharashtra.
Pardeshi said Nanded had been the best performing
district in MGNREGA in Maharashtra for the last three years.
The district generated 31 lakh person-days in the year 2010-11
and spent Rs 73 crore on MGNREGA works.
A total of 14,414 Vanrai Bandharas (temporary
check-dams) were constructed through community participation
in 2010-11. It was done without spending a penny of the
government, Pardeshi claimed.
The empty cement bags, needed to construct these dams,
were obtained from private donors, such as associations of
builders and contractors.
Priyanka Gandhi slams politics of opportunism in UP
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video