Priyanka Gandhi to join active politics?
Amethi (Uttar Pradesh): Congress chief Sonia Gandhi`s daughter Priyanka Gandhi Vadra on Tuesday said she was open to the idea of campaigning for the party in election-bound Uttar Pradesh and "will do anything to help my brother" Rahul Gandhi.
"I am here in Amethi and Rae Bareli. My brother and I will talk to each other. I will do anything to help my brother. I will do whatever he requires me to do," Priyanka, 40, told reporters in Amethi - Rahul`s Parliamentary constituency - when asked if she would campaign with him.
She has been overseeing Congress election preparations in Amethi and Rae Bareli but has not actively participated in campaigning. However, she said she was open to the idea of campaigning if Rahul asked her to do so.
"I have not decided yet. For now I am going to oversee elections in these 10 constituencies which fall within our Parliamentary constituency. If Rahul wants me to campaign, I will campaign," Priyanka said.
Asked if she would join active politics if Rahul so wants, Priyanka eluded a direct reply saying: "He knows to what extent he requires me."
She arrived in Amethi on Monday from New Delhi in a chartered aircraft which landed at an airstrip at the Indira Gandhi Flying Academy in Fursatganj, about 35 km from here.
Clad in an orange sari, she was surrounded by enthusiastic Congress supporters, mostly women, who had lined up to cheer her outside the guesthouse of the Sanjay Gandhi Hospital run by the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation here.
Women supporters shouted slogans of "Priyanka Gandhi, Zindabad" to cheer her up.
Voting for the 403-member state Assembly is to be held in a seven-phase schedule between February 8 and March 3.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him