Rahul to analyse UP poll outcome at party meet
New Delhi: With the debacle in Uttar Pradesh
Assembly polls coming as a shock to the Congress, Rahul Gandhi
will be analysing the outcome at a meeting of party leaders
here on April 6 in a move to set the house in order ahead of
the Lok Sabha polls.
Newly elected party MLAs as also MPs from the state have
been called for the much-talked about meeting which was
earlier scheduled to take place last week. This will be the
first formal review meeting of the U P polls by Gandhi, who
has owned up the responsibility for the defeat.
Candidates, who lost despite polling 20,000 votes and
above, have also been called for a preliminary meeting with
Gandhi on April 5, party sources said.
Gandhi had himself led the campaign in the state after
being instrumental in securing 22 of the 80 seats in the Lok
Sabha polls from the state in 2009 which was seen as a revival
of the organisation.
Gandhi`s Mission UP 2012 collapsed for a variety of
reasons as it won 28 of 403 seats in the assembly elections.
Party chief Sonia Gandhi had in her initial reaction ascribed
the debacle to "poor organisation", absence of strong local
leadership as also wrong selection of candidates.
"We will have to sit down and look at the situation and
the results in every single state and then together work out a
plan to correct the mistakes we have made,? the Congress chief
had said after the electoral outcome.
Party sources said that the candidates who had lost the
Lok Sabha polls despite securing more than one lakh votes have
also been called for the preliminary meeting being held by
Gandhi on April 5.
Uttar Pradesh is the politically most crucial state and
is also the home turf of the Gandhi-Nehru family.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says