Set up AIIMS in Bundelkhand, Rohilkhand: Akhilesh
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Thursday asked the Centre to set up an All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in impoverished Bundelkhand, Rohilkhand and Poorvanchal areas of the state along with Rae Bareli.
In a letter to Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, Yadav said a high-level medical institute like Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS) already exists in Lucknow and with the setting up of AIIMS at Rae Bareli both the institutes would be located in central part of the state whereas Bundelkhand, Poorvanchal and Rohilkhand are without such facilities.
Akhilesh said people of these regions ultimately have to go to Lucknow or Rae Bareli for treatment, which would be inconvenient due to distance factor.
He said while these three regions have a significant population, they are also economically backward.
The CM said that in such a sitution it would be better if either institutes like AIIMS were set up in these three areas or campus hospitals of AIIMS set up in Rae Bareli were opened there so that people could get better medical facilities.
Yadav said directives have been issued to the Revenue department to ensure availability of adequate land required for setting up of AIIMS in Rae Bareli district.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Delhi gang-rape: Show juvenile rapist's face to the world, demand Nirbhaya's parents
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case