Set up AIIMS in Bundelkhand, Rohilkhand: Akhilesh
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Thursday asked the Centre to set up an All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in impoverished Bundelkhand, Rohilkhand and Poorvanchal areas of the state along with Rae Bareli.
In a letter to Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, Yadav said a high-level medical institute like Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS) already exists in Lucknow and with the setting up of AIIMS at Rae Bareli both the institutes would be located in central part of the state whereas Bundelkhand, Poorvanchal and Rohilkhand are without such facilities.
Akhilesh said people of these regions ultimately have to go to Lucknow or Rae Bareli for treatment, which would be inconvenient due to distance factor.
He said while these three regions have a significant population, they are also economically backward.
The CM said that in such a sitution it would be better if either institutes like AIIMS were set up in these three areas or campus hospitals of AIIMS set up in Rae Bareli were opened there so that people could get better medical facilities.
Yadav said directives have been issued to the Revenue department to ensure availability of adequate land required for setting up of AIIMS in Rae Bareli district.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Kareena is part of 'Veere Di Wedding': Sonam Kapoor
- Ajay Devgn, Emraan Hashmi starrer 'Baadshaho' begins shoot!
- Nitish Kumar seeks PM Modi's help to desilt Ganga, says feel like crying at river's condition in Bihar
- INSIDE DELHI METRO: Is this what happens to men who enter ladies coach? WATCH
- Gujarat Assembly ratifies GST Bill unanimously