Set up AIIMS in Bundelkhand, Rohilkhand: Akhilesh
Lucknow: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav on Thursday asked the Centre to set up an All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in impoverished Bundelkhand, Rohilkhand and Poorvanchal areas of the state along with Rae Bareli.
In a letter to Union Health and Family Welfare Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad, Yadav said a high-level medical institute like Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGIMS) already exists in Lucknow and with the setting up of AIIMS at Rae Bareli both the institutes would be located in central part of the state whereas Bundelkhand, Poorvanchal and Rohilkhand are without such facilities.
Akhilesh said people of these regions ultimately have to go to Lucknow or Rae Bareli for treatment, which would be inconvenient due to distance factor.
He said while these three regions have a significant population, they are also economically backward.
The CM said that in such a sitution it would be better if either institutes like AIIMS were set up in these three areas or campus hospitals of AIIMS set up in Rae Bareli were opened there so that people could get better medical facilities.
Yadav said directives have been issued to the Revenue department to ensure availability of adequate land required for setting up of AIIMS in Rae Bareli district.
- Bangladesh: A journey of shared history and common destiny with India
- English Premier League: Is Leicester City's 5,000-1 upset the greatest sporting shock ever?
- Pakistan knew about Osama bin Laden's Abbottabad hideout: Hillary Clinton
- Hema Malini, Dharmendra celebrate 36 years of marriage – See pics
- PM Narendra Modi may quash MPs' dreams of 100% salary hike - Know why