Sonia, Priyanka share dais; lash out at Mayawati
Raebareli: Sharing the dais for the first
time in poll-bound Uttar Pradesh, Sonia Gandhi and Priyanka
Gandhi on Tuesday lambasted the Mayawati regime for lack of
development alleging large scale corruption in implementation
of central schemes worth Rs 1 lakh crore.
The Congress President and her daughter held all the
non-Congress parties like BSP, SP and BJP, that ruled Uttar
Pradesh over the last two decades, responsible for its current
"sorry state of affairs" saying that the state was not like
this when Congress was in power.
Asserting that the Centre never differentiated among
states when it came to providing them funds for development,
Sonia listed schemes like MNREGA, PMGSY, NRHM SSA and several
other plans under which over Rs 1 lakh crore were given to
the BSP-ruled Uttar Pradesh.
Alleging corruption in the funds allocated to UP, she
asked "after all where is that money. Where was it spent? It’s
clear that scams and corruption have taken place".
The Congress president was also critical of the state
government for "obstructing" the implementation of Centre`s
schemes and efforts to develop the state particularly
Raebareli and Amethi represented by her and Rahul Gandhi.
She said that the Centre made a number of plans for the
development of the state but they were "obstructed".
Citing BSP`s earlier opposition to the Centre`s plan to
set up a rail coach factory at Raebareli, the Congress
President wondered "do people of Raebareli and Amethi do not
have a right to get employment?"
Asking people not to be "misled" by the campaign of those
political parties doing politics in the name of caste and
religion, Sonia urged them to vote for Congress.
"It is a matter of regret that all ideals and principles
are at risk in UP where a phase of petty interest, corruption
and politics of opportunism has been launched in the name of
caste and religion", she added.
"All the parties be it BJP, SP or the BSP have joined
hands for power time and again and have together ruined the
state and with them around there can be no hope of development
of the entire state including Rae Bareli", Sonia said.
Priyanka adopted an interactive style to reach out to
people at the rally soliciting a promise to "change" the
government in Uttar Pradesh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting begins - Who will win BJP or Shiv Sena?
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan