UP MLA Mukhtar Ansari charged under MCOCA
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday framed charges against sitting Uttar Pradesh MLA Mukhtar Ansari and his three associates for allegedly running an organised crime syndicate for undue pecuniary benefits.
An independent legislator form Mau and an accused in the 2005 murder of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai, 53-year-old Ansari was charged under section 3(4) of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) for being a member of an organised crime syndicate.
The section carries a punishment of minimum five-year imprisonment which may also extend to life and a minimum fine of Rs 5 lakh.
The court also framed charges against Ansari`s alleged accomplices Prem Prakash alias Munna Bajrangi, Iftekhar Ahmed and Meraz Ahmed, who had been earlier this year acquitted in an extortion case.
While framing charges against Ansari, Additional Sessions Judge Savita Rao said, "Before or at the time of registration of this case, you (Ansari) were found to be the member of an organised crime syndicate of Prem Prakash alias Munna Bajrangi who was found committing organised crime."
Ansari pleaded not guilty to the charge and claimed trial.
Bajrangi, who lost the recent UP Assembly elections from his hometown Jaunpur, has also been charged for running an organised crime with the court noting that the offences did not result in any deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!