UP MLA Mukhtar Ansari charged under MCOCA
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday framed charges against sitting Uttar Pradesh MLA Mukhtar Ansari and his three associates for allegedly running an organised crime syndicate for undue pecuniary benefits.
An independent legislator form Mau and an accused in the 2005 murder of BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai, 53-year-old Ansari was charged under section 3(4) of Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) for being a member of an organised crime syndicate.
The section carries a punishment of minimum five-year imprisonment which may also extend to life and a minimum fine of Rs 5 lakh.
The court also framed charges against Ansari`s alleged accomplices Prem Prakash alias Munna Bajrangi, Iftekhar Ahmed and Meraz Ahmed, who had been earlier this year acquitted in an extortion case.
While framing charges against Ansari, Additional Sessions Judge Savita Rao said, "Before or at the time of registration of this case, you (Ansari) were found to be the member of an organised crime syndicate of Prem Prakash alias Munna Bajrangi who was found committing organised crime."
Ansari pleaded not guilty to the charge and claimed trial.
Bajrangi, who lost the recent UP Assembly elections from his hometown Jaunpur, has also been charged for running an organised crime with the court noting that the offences did not result in any deaths.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy