UP: Three Ambedkar statues vandalised
Azamgarh: Statues of Bhimbaro Ambedkar were vandalised by unidentified persons at three places in the district, triggering protests from BSP workers who blocked roads and staged demonstrations.
The incident comes close on the heels of the statue of former Chief Minister Mayawati being damaged in Gomti nagar in Lucknow.
Police sources said today that Ambedkar`s statue was decapitated and the head was thrown in a field in Katat village in Mehnagar area last night.
The Dalit icon`s statues were also damaged in Nai Palia and Jiyasath village, they said.
When local residents spotted the damaged statues, they, along with BSP workers, blocked main road for around four hours, police said.
The road blockade was lifted after senior officials assured that new statues would be installed and the culprits would be booked, they said.
On Thursday, some miscreants had broken the head and damaged the arms of the nearly four-feet high statue of the BSP supremo and former UP Chief Minister installed at the Bhimrao Ambedkar Samajik Parivartan Sthal.
A little known political outfit Uttar Pradesh Nav Nirman Sena had claimed responsibility for the incident, saying it was their way of expressing anger over scams which took place under the Mayawati regime.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Yuvraj Singh completes 8000 runs in first class cricket
- Katra helicopter crash: 'Dead pilot' Sumita Vijayan says she is alive
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!