Varanasi: BHU doctors end strike
Varanasi: Doctors striking in protest
against an incident of alleged sexual harassment at the Banares Hindu University here Friday returned to work following an assurance by the Vice Chancellor that the matter would be
The strike was called off after a three-hour long meeting between the striking doctors and Vice Chancellor Dr Lalji Singh, BHU Press Publicity and Promotion Cell Chairman Prof Rajesh Singh said.
This was after the VC assured the doctors that the matter
would be thoroughly probed and action taken within seven days
of the arrival of the accused Prof B D Bhatia who is on a
holiday abroad. Till then, Prof Bhatia would not return to
work at his department.
The VC`s assurance managed to pacify the doctors who
agreed to resume work. Prof Bhatia is on leave abroad till
The victim had earlier alleged that her supervisor Prof Bhatia had called her to his house and committed obscene acts
and tried to molest her.
As news of the incident spread, resident doctors and
students union began a protest campaign two days ago. They
burnt effigies of the Dean and the university administration
at the IMS gate and yesterday had struck work except at the
ICU, affecting the functioning of the hospital. Students had
also boycotted classes.
The striking doctors had also warned of suspending emergency services from today.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- WATCH: INCREDIBLE! When The Great Khali crushed two opponents in under a minute!
- Microsoft improves OneDrive photos, adds 'Pokemon Go' detector
- Munich attack: Facebook activates safety check tool
- Anamika Khanna weaves romance at India Couture Week
- Blue hues to die for! Sonakshi Sinha is basking under Maldives sun- See pic