Holi turns political in Uttarakhand
Dehra Dun: Under the celebration of Holi in
this hill state lay an undercurrent of political uncertainty,
which was evident from greetings, whether they were exchanged
between ordinary people or politicians, who greeted each other
apparently to garner support to form a new government.
Former chief minister Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank went to
Raj Bhavan to greet Governor Margaret Alva apparently to seek
her blessings for the formation of new government.
"I have come for Holi only," said Nishank without
Several top leaders from both Congress and the ruling BJP
greeted leaders of BSP, Uttarakhand Kranti Dal (UKD) and some
independents to seek their support, political sources said.
"People usually greet each other on the occasion of Holi.
I can`t say more than that," said PCC chief Yashpal Arya.
However, most of the newly elected Independents remained
But Harish Durgapal, an Independent from Lal Kuan, said
he has received greetings from leaders of Congress.
"It is Holi and we get greetings," he said.
Trivendra Singh Panwar, president of UKD which has one
MLA, also greeted the people on Holi and said the party would
like to see the revival of all those issues for which the
party was created.
"Be it the issue of permanent capital or issues related
to water, jungles and land, we will see to it that there
should be wider acceptance of these issues," said Panwar.
Having fallen short of majority, rival contenders for
power Congress and BJP are putting efforts to rope in
potential allies to form a government.
While Congress has emerged as the single largest party
with 32 seats in the 70-member House, BJP finished one less
seat in a cliff-hanger contest for the state assembly polls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi