Series of mishaps during Char Dham Yatra raises safety concern
Dehradun: A series of fatal road mishaps that took place in course of the `Char Dham Yatra` in Uttarakhand during the past one month has raised some serious questions regarding security arrangements of the pilgrimage.
Ever since the pilgrimage begun on April 24, as many as 33 devotees have lost their lives in mishaps, the worst taking place in Tihri on May 22, when 27 people from Madhya Pradesh were killed and 15 others injured in a road accident.
The mishap occurred when the bus fell in river Ganga after the driver lost control in an attempt to overtake a vehicle.
The very next day on May 23, three pilgrims on way to Kedarnath were killed and 12 others injured after a tree crashed on their bus.
Also 12 pilgrims lost their lives in different incidents after their vehicles fell in Alaknanda river last month.
On May 25, two persons died after their car fell into Alaknanda river and in a similar incident on May 29, five pilgrims from Rajasthan lost their lives in a similar mishap.
In another mishap on the same river, five pilgrims from Punjab were killed after their vehicle fell into Alaknanda.
Accusing the state government of negligence, opposition BJP has alleged necessary security arrangements were not taken care of.
"People come for pilgrimage with a high degree of devotion and belief. Government should be careful enough for their security," party`s state spokesperson Satish Lakheda said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 4 pm
- Journalist covering Vyapam scam dies in Madhya Pradesh
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Dawood Ibrahim's surrender offer rejected due to a 'condition', clarifies Sharad Pawar
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam