Bengal gives second language status to Urdu
Kolkata: West Bengal government on Friday accorded second language status to Urdu specially in those
areas where over 10 per cent of population as per 2001 and
2010 census speaks the language.
This is for the first time in the state that Urdu
language has been given official recognition as second
language, state`s Commerce and Industries minister Partha
Chatterjee said after a Cabinet meeting.
State`s Municipal Affairs Minister Fihad Hakim
said the decision taken at the state cabinet today fulfilled a
longstanding demand by the Urdu-speaking people in the state.
He said that the step was also in consonance with the
promise made earlier by Mamata Banerjee after she took over as
Chief Minister in May last year.
Hakim also greeted Urdu-speaking people and said that
they would benefit by the government`s decision.
Altogether 18 areas, including Goalpokhar I and II
blocks, Islalmpur block, Kolkata Municipal Corporation,
Islampur Municipality, Garulia Municipality, Titagarh
Municipality, Kamarhati Municipality, Bhatpara Municipality,
Champdani Municipality, Bansberia Municipality, Bhadreswar
Municipality, Rishra Municipality, Asansol Municipal
Corporation, Jamuria Municipality, Raniganj Municipality,
Kulti Municipality and Bally Municipality areas had been
identified as having 10 per cent or close to it Urdu-speaking
population, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read