Congress leader killed, protesters turn violent
Hooghly (WB): Road blockade by Congress at Bandal in Hooghly district in protest against the murder of a local leader turned violent on Wednesday leading to injury of nine persons including four policemen.
Superintendent of Police Tanmoy Roychowdhury said Dilip Paswan (55) was shot dead near Bandal Locoshed last night by three men who came with their faces covered in a motorbike.
In protest against the killing, Congress workers put up a blockade at Delhi Road at 7 am today.
When a police team went there, the protesters started pelting stones to them injuring four policemen and set fire to a police jeep, Roychowdhury said.
The police used batons to disperse the mob that also left five persons injured, he said.
The SP said efforts were on to arrest the killers of Paswan and the situation is now under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena murder: Trio to be taken to Raigad to re-construct crime scene
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Raksha Bandhan: Sushma Swaraj ties Rakhi to Venkaiah Naidu
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Women's hockey team seals Olympic spot after 36 years, creates history on Dhyan Chand's birthday
- Sushma Swaraj ties rakhi to M Venkaiah Naidu
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Indrani Mukerjea's son Mikhail emailed Sheena Bora's resignation letter
- Ten interesting facts about hockey legend Dhyan Chand