Congress leader killed, protesters turn violent
Hooghly (WB): Road blockade by Congress at Bandal in Hooghly district in protest against the murder of a local leader turned violent on Wednesday leading to injury of nine persons including four policemen.
Superintendent of Police Tanmoy Roychowdhury said Dilip Paswan (55) was shot dead near Bandal Locoshed last night by three men who came with their faces covered in a motorbike.
In protest against the killing, Congress workers put up a blockade at Delhi Road at 7 am today.
When a police team went there, the protesters started pelting stones to them injuring four policemen and set fire to a police jeep, Roychowdhury said.
The police used batons to disperse the mob that also left five persons injured, he said.
The SP said efforts were on to arrest the killers of Paswan and the situation is now under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- My News: People forced to pay for govt water tankers in Sangam Vihar
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Even 100 Rahul Gandhis cannot match PM Narendra Modi's mega wave: Shiv Sena
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi