Congress leader killed, protesters turn violent
Hooghly (WB): Road blockade by Congress at Bandal in Hooghly district in protest against the murder of a local leader turned violent on Wednesday leading to injury of nine persons including four policemen.
Superintendent of Police Tanmoy Roychowdhury said Dilip Paswan (55) was shot dead near Bandal Locoshed last night by three men who came with their faces covered in a motorbike.
In protest against the killing, Congress workers put up a blockade at Delhi Road at 7 am today.
When a police team went there, the protesters started pelting stones to them injuring four policemen and set fire to a police jeep, Roychowdhury said.
The police used batons to disperse the mob that also left five persons injured, he said.
The SP said efforts were on to arrest the killers of Paswan and the situation is now under control.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details