HC stays students` union polls at Andrews College
Kolkata: The Calcutta High Court on Friday
stayed the students` body election at Garia Andrews College,
in the southern fringes, on a petition by 73 students alleging
that they were not allowed to participate in the election
Justice Tapen Sen stayed the election that was
scheduled on December 23 and directed that the interim
injunction would be till February 13, when the matter would
come up for final hearing.
Appearing for S Naskar and 72 other students, counsel
Subroto Mukhopadhyay submitted that they were physically
prevented from entering the college and that they could not
collect nomination forms for the students` body elections.
Mukhopadhyay alleged that there was no democratic
atmosphere at the college and that the college authorities did
not take steps.
Justice Sen directed the college authority, which
was represented before the court, to file an affidavit in
stating their position on the issue by January 13 and asked
the petitioners to file their affidavit in reply to that
within one week after that.
The matter would come up for final hearing on February
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’