Kolkata: Victim traces rapists but cops mock her
Kolkata: An Anglo-Indian woman who was allegedly raped while returning from a night club on Park Street in central Kolkata used social networking website Facebook to trace down her assailants, but had to face noncooperation from the police.
The woman claims, she was offered a lift by four men she befriended at a nightclub on February 5, but as soon as the car started rolling one of them raped her at gunpoint.
She took to Facebook to try and indentified her assailants.
"I thought everyone uses Facebook. I looked for their names and their image appeared. I was lucky. I can never forget that face in my life," the victim told a news channel.
Armed with printouts of the pictures, she approached the police on February nine. She alleged that instead of taking up her case, the police mocked her.
How is it possible in a moving car? The cops asked her, she alleged. One of the persons who had accompanied the victim to the police station claimed that the senior officer looked at her (victim) and told his junior: “Today is February 14, let`s go to tantra (nightclub) and have beer."
Later, under pressure, an FIR was filed and she was sent for a medical examination, the result of which is awaited.
Joint Commissioner of Police (Crime) Damayanti Sen said that the victim, who was in a state of trauma, had gone to the police on February nine, four days after the alleged crime.
Asked about the woman`s complaint of misbehaviour by the police at the police station, Sen said, "If there is a complaint against any police officer, it will be looked into and action taken."
Sen said as per court order, the victim was taken for medical examination on February 10 and hospital authorities called for a medico-legal test by forensic experts, which caused a delay.
As per reports, the police have found several discrepancies in her statement. Also, one of the men she identified on Facebook is said to be from Canada.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm