Pro-govt dailies will be promoted: Bengal minister
Kolkata: A West Bengal minister Sunday defended the government`s order to its libraries to stock only specific newspapers for promoting "free thinking" and said only pro-government dailies will be given preference.
"We are running the government and whoever writes about us will get preference. Only pro-government newspapers will be promoted. Where is the harm in it," Minister of State for Rural Development Sisir Adhikari asked while speaking to reporters.
The Congress, a junior partner in the Trinamool Congress-led alliance, wrote a letter to Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee protesting against the order and demanded its withdrawal.
The order had earlier specified only eight vernacular dailies but the government later added five more, including an English daily, to the list.
Banerjee earlier said that she may ask people to stop buying certain newspapers "because a conspiracy is going on against us".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Mother beats her infant son in Bareilly, tries to strangulate him
- Women can enter inner sanctorum of Haji Ali Dargah: Mumbai HC
- Watch: PM Modi's speech on Transforming India at NITI Aayog
- Mysterious fever claims 12 lives in Noida within 15 days
- Panel discussion on Mumbai HC allowing women to enter Haji Ali Dargah
- Pakistan's Sami Aslam reveals why he always recalls these words from Sachin Tendulkar's retirement speech
- Subramanian Swamy fires fresh salvo at Raghuram Rajan, claims he has no degree in economics
- Dwayne Bravo all set to make singing debut in Bollywood! - Details inside
- Samsung Galaxy Note 7 with 6GB RAM, 128GB storage likely to be launched today
- Subramanian Swamy's piece of advice to Rahul Gandhi - Quit politics to save Congress future