Trinamool MLA beats up auto drivers in Kolkata
Kolkata: After trouble from her nephew Akash, who was arrested for assaulting a cop, West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee would now have to explain the conduct of one of her MLAs.
Reports, Tuesday, claimed that Trinamool Congress Phulbagan MLA Paresh Pal was seen beating and roughing up several auto drivers after they went on a rampage in different parts of Kolkata to protest hike in fuel prices.
As per the eye witnesses, the incident took place shortly after the auto rickshaw drivers went on a strike, bringing the rush hour traffic to a halt in major part of the city.
The three-wheeler operators blocked roads at Kankurgachi, Phulbagan and Hudco crossing in north Kolkata and at Rashbehari crossing in the southern part of the city.
The agitating auto rickshaw drivers pelted stones on buses and forced passengers, including school children and elders, to disembark.
At Phulbagan, TMC MLA Paresh Pal encountered the agitating auto rickshaw drivers and asked them to lift the blockade.
When the auto drivers refused to do so, a visibly angry TMC MLA then started beating the three-wheeler drivers.
The situation was soon brought under control after police intervened in the matter.
However, no arrest has been made in this regard so far.
Meanwhile, the roadblocks, which began at around 10 am in the peak office hours, have been lifted, and the traffic situation is slowly returning to normal in the affected areas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog