WB govt takes initiative to release foreign prison
Kolkata: Languishing in West Bengal`s jails for months, Bangladeshi nationals and those from other countries will be released soon with the new state government taking an initiative in this regard.
The Minister for Correctional Administration, Shankar Chakraborty, said there were a large number of foreign nationals, the bulk of which are from Bangladesh, lodged in different correctional homes in the state.
"We have already initiated primary steps in getting them released from correctional homes and repatriated to their respective countries," Chakraborty said.
The minister said that some prisoners in fact had already been released and repatriated to the neighbouring country since the Mamata Banerjee government took over the reins of the administration.
Some prisoners, Chakraborty said, had been released but their repatriation was taking some time because of delay in verification of their nationality.
"We are taking up the matter with the Ministry of Home Affairs to expedite the matter. The Ministry of External Affairs was also working with the Bangladesh authorities," the minister said.
He said that the Centre was also having a dialogue with the authorities of the countries, where the prisoners hail from, to work out an agreement under which the inmates could serve the remaining part of the terms in their homelands.
Chakraborty said that the arrangement would free up space in the overcrowded jails and save resources as well.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks