WB should protect farmers’ interest: Brinda
Ranchi: CPI(M) Politburo member Brinda Karat
today slammed the Mamata Banerjee government in West Bengal
for being "indifferent" to the problems of farmers and
demanded they be given them adequate support price to sell
"For the first time in 34 years, there are reports of
suicide by farmers in Burdwan district of West Bengal.
Trinamool Congress government has not set up grain purchase
kiosks for farmers, which has forced them to sell grains at
very low price," Karat told a press conference here.
"Trinamool Congress came to power with the plank of Maa,
Mati and Manush. But Manush (farmers) are committing suicide
on their Mati (land)," Karat said, referring to reported
suicide by farmers in Bengal.
Alleging that 446 CPI (M) cadres had been killed since
2009 in Bengal, the Left leader said "we would endure their
atrocities against us, but the West Bengal government should
protect farmers` interest by setting up adequate paddy
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir